Back again and after day one I can assure you I am an IT wiz (I wish).
People here at Openet, where I’m spending the next two weeks, speak like
walking dictionaries. I feel like I’ve learned a whole new language. Me and my
partner in crime Natalie awaited our mentors anxiously this morning in the
lobby envisioning what our time here was going to be like, as like me she had
no clue either. Teen Turn has really given us a challange! Challange accepted.
The day started with a brief introduction meeting to the world of Openet
followed by a talk given to the two of us by Jessica, the marketing administrator, explaining what Openet as a company
is and does - I can’t spill the details that’s what they call confidential
(wink wink) After my mentor Naomi gave me the grand tour of the offices and
kitchens (the highlight of the tour of course, they even have croissants ;) ) briefly
meeting the geniuses at Openet. I hadn’t even been at Openet an hour and I had
already met some of the friendliest people you could imagine.
After lunch in the
canteen, where a very serious table tennis match was commencing (inside joke)
we were given yet another talk by Brendon, the recruitment manager, about all the different departments that play
key roles in the running of Openet. I found it quite interesting to see all the
IT and non IT departments that take part in the running of the company. Then
lastly, after getting set up and meeting the other members of the team who I am working with (who
immediately welcomed me into the fam), Natalie and I had a talk and catch up
with a HR Specialist Geraldine who made sure we were doing ok. She was so nice and kind and really easy to talk to which made my first day a whole lot less scary knowing I could come talk to her whenever. Being one of the first people I encountered at Openet she really gave me a great impression of the people here in the company. She also filled
us in on the daily procedures at Openet and gave us a background check on the
company( My nod and smile technique was useful once again)
Throughout the day I encountered many wonderful and
interesting people who had many stories to share with me and helped me with any
question or problem I had. I was very grateful of how understanding everyone
was towards my lack of knowledge when it came to the technology and work they
were doing (which is basically 0) and of how eager everyone was to meet us.
After hearing about my upcoming tasks and projects I'm pretty excited for the
work that's ahead of me , and who knows maybe at the end of two weeks I might actually
turn into an IT wiz myself ;)
I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon , if not wish me
luck
Lauren

Lauren, this is Niambh from CoderDojoGirls and one of the helpers on the day. What a lovely read, I'm thrilled the wonderful team in Openet are helping you out ( p.s - they are an awesome bunch). Keep up the great blogging.
ReplyDeleteN..
Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteYour blogs are very detailed. I'm getting a great insight into your Teen-Turn experience. I'm glad that you thought your colleagues were nice. I'm looking forward to reading through the rest of your experience in Openet.