Second last day here at Openet and I have to say the past two weeks flew in (you know what they say time flies when your having fun). As usual I got in, got my coffee, sat and began my mornings work.
This morning one of the men on my team James gave me an insight into code and how a particular type of code that the team uses works. Once again I didn't quite understand at first what was happening but as always they tried their best to explain it in much simpler form in which I understood then.
For my work I got to play around with and test some of the teams software and stuff they had built which was quite fun, seeing what they were working on right in front of me, I also got to redesign the teams homepage in my previous tasks which was something more in my work range (mainly because you needed less knowledge of any computer or tech stuff) .
Just before lunch I got to talk to a lovely lady, Gail, who spoke to me about her role at Openet and how she got here. One thing I'm noticing, which most of the people I talk to have in common, is that they didn't set out to be or imagine themselves being where they are today. Most people didn't really have a clue about what they liked or even what they wanted to be (basically me). Some of the people I have talked to took a completely different course, degree or path when they started compared to what they're doing today, like for example Gail went on to do art after she was finished school and is now a program manager at Openet for a number or years or Naomi, my mentor, who first done environmental science and is now a lead engineer in product development at Openet . It just shows that no matter what you do or study there's always other paths you can take and that no choice you make is permanent, there's always room for change. It's reassuring to see and know that I don't really have to know exactly what I want to be and study just yet, that I have time, a lot of time, to figure it all out and that no decision I make is final.
After lunch I had another meeting with the team about a proposed project. It was good to see what goes on in these types of meetings and how it's handled by the teams and others as really I've never been present at any before. I'm picking up on a few words and phrases at the meetings (thank God) so I'm not as mind-boggled anymore.
Well that's all the new for today. Don't forget to pop back tomorrow for the dreaded last day of the Openet experience (I can feel the tears already:( )
Lauren

No comments:
Post a Comment