8/03/2016

Introduction Day

Hollah,

My name is Lauren Sliney and I’m one of the lucky 14 girls that was chosen to take part in the teen turn programme this year (even though I had no idea what I was doing but don’t tell them that) Basically it’s to encourage girls to pursue careers in technology, science, engineering and maths because most of the workforce in those categories are males, believe it or not, and Teen Turn are going to change that!

 Friday the 29th of July was my
 introduction day to the programme,
I’m not going to lie I was really
 nervous and not sure what to
expect. But that soon changed,
 when I met the ladies running
the teen turn programme. They welcomed me with open and
kind arms and changed my nervousness into excitement for the two weeks ahead. Me and my 13 fellow ‘IT Queens’ to be, received a blogging and vlogging workshop to prepare us for our tasks that lay ahead. Afterwards we were given an interesting talk by the women of Hay employment agency about their careers and other career opportunities available, it really helped me understand the seemingly unlimited options I can have access to. And finally we were introduced to our mentors over lunch where we chatted about the upcoming two weeks and all sense of nervousness I felt at the beginning of the day had completely disappeared because of their encouragement and enthusiasm to get to know us. Even though they used their tech language already with me (who had no clue) I let it slide. I’ve become very talented at the nod and smile technique.

Check back to see how this idiot gets on in the unknown realm of IT.

Lauren :) 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    I'm really enjoying reading about your tech journey with Teen-Turn.

    N..

    ReplyDelete