8/15/2016

Day 8

And finally the dreaded last day is over. Today started like any other day for me at Openet, I had a few talks with some people scheduled and a few meetings to go to as well. First on the list was my very last refinement :( (to which I was so devastated about), and after I went to chat to Derek who is head of a team who deal with user documentations. We sat on the comfy sofas and he talked about his life before Openet which was quite interesting, and then he showed me to his desk where he went through his work and showed me all the documentation processes he goes through on a day to day basis.
Then after my final lunch and play in the playground at the canteen I met with Eamonn who is an engineer manager at Openet. He too talked about his life before Openet and about how he got to where he is today. We sipped on some coffee and he shared some tips on what to watch out for and and some skills that would be very helpful to me in the future. 
I've learned so much during my time here like how communication is so vital in a workplace like Openet and like how many different departments there are here. Coming into this I wasn't expecting to see and work with so many people who all have a huge range of different talents. I have also learned so much more about the technical and engineering side of things, working with such a great team who helped me learn and develop with any chance they got. They aslo gave me a few top tips on how to look busy at work ( top tip number 1 being always carry around a pen and notebook whilst walking fast up and down the corridors)  


Overall i am delighted with my experience here at Openet. They have taken me under their wing and treated me like one of their own. Everyone here has gone above and beyond to make me feel welcome and to help me get a sense of life as a working woman. Everyone was so eager to talk to me about their lives and roles at work and I am very thankful to everyone who took some time out of their very busy schedules to come and chat with me. I'm also so lucky to have had Naomi as my mentor, without her my experience wouldn't have been half of what it was. She thought me so many new thing whilst having so much patience for my empty head. And lastly, I am so very grateful to Teen-Turn for giving me this opportunity, its an experience I'll never forget.Without them none of this would've been possible and without them there would be no recognition of all the amazing Coding Queens  running the workplaces. I hope that Natalie and the other 12 girls who took part in the Teen-
Turn programme have had an experience as amazing as mine was and I hope to see them all doing well in the near future. 
For one last time, Gbye m'loves
Lauren 

                                        

4 comments:

  1. Lauren, What a marvelous two weeks to read about! We'll all be carrying a pen and notebook and hurrying around the office from now on, for certain. Hopefully you'll join the 'coding queen' kingdom in the future in some capacity. They'll be very fortunate to have you! Teen-Turn Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    Your blog was such fun to read. I loved your hashtag #codingqueens! It was great that you got to meet so many women working in the company and their roles so diverse.

    I'm thrilled you had a wonderful time.
    niambh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,
    I really enjoyed your blogs. It sounds like you had a great experience in Openet. I think talking to people about their personal career paths is great. I hope you and Natalie and the other girls who took part in Teen-Turn keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, I've just read your blog from start to finish and I'm so impressed I really enjoyed reading your blogs. All the best in the future, whatever you decide to do, focus on it and make it happen!! :)

    ReplyDelete